11.20.2012

#241 -- Beware (2010)

Rating: 3.5 / 5
Director: Jason Daly

So, I originally thought that this was going to be some kind of supernatural movie, with a monster out in the woods; maybe a Sasquatch or something. I'm honestly not sure why. But I was glad to find out that it was actually a slasher movie, and not a bad one at that.

It opens up on a couple getting it on in the woods, of course. Before they can really get into it, a woman emerges covered in blood. The man goes to investigate, to maybe help the woman, and he and his lady are both brutally killed. Cut to five years later, and we meet a group of friends who we are sure will meet the same fate.

The friends are planning on having one more fun weekend before they all go their separate ways for college. But, of course, their trip turns ugly when they run into some car trouble. They find a garage, but the mechanic will not be able to fix their car  until the following morning. There is a hotel about ten miles  away, or the gas station attendant will let them sleep in the garage. Luckily, a local woman shows up and gives the kids a ride, and she lets them stay at her house. It's kind of suspicious, if you ask me. Or, at least, Maria is really stupid for letting a bunch of strangers into her house. And Maria has some kind of beef with the giant British mechanic who seems a little off. The friends were doomed from the beginning, if you ask me.

We eventually learn from Maria what actually lurks in the woods. It is a man named Shane, and his story is actually very sad. Maria has a little more to do with everything than she originally let on, and we're left with an interesting battle at the end.

There are a couple of things I liked about this one, and a couple of things I didn't like. It's not a perfect movie, but it's quite good. First, what I did like. I liked the back-story of the killer, Shane. Actually, I loved it. It was equally sad and brutal, and it really gives the viewer a chance to look into the mind of the killer. We can both sympathize with and fear him. He was also very menacing and brutal, and his costume of choice was pretty cool. I also liked Maria; she was part cute and sweet, and part crazy bitch, which was great. Some of the other characters were annoying assholes, but that's only natural. The acting, for the most part, was okay. Some of it was kind of dull, making the action less exciting, but it wasn't all that bad. The effects were good, the pacing was good, and I really can't find anything negative to say about this one. I was pleasantly surprised with it, and I think everyone should give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment