12.05.2011

#81 -- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Director: Tim Burton
Rating: 5 / 5

I don't think I could possibly participate in the 13 Days of Creepmas without giving The Nightmare Before Christmas some attention. So, for the 5th day of Creepmas, I present a review of one of the best movies ever made.

Everyone knows Jack Skellington. And everyone who knows him loves him, I'm sure. He is hugely popular, and I think he always will be. I know he's definitely one of my favorite movie characters of all time. I know this is a horror movie blog, and this movie isn't exactly horror; but I'm going to review it anyway. I don't know; it might frighten some kids out there. For me, though, I was always terrified of the Gargoyles preview that came before it on my VHS. Anyways...becoming incredibly cliche in 3...2...1



Jack Skellington lives in Halloweentown. Like the North Pole, they spend 364 days of each year getting ready for their big day - Halloween! Everything's creepy and wonderful in Halloweentown once the day arrives, and Jack is in the middle of all of it. They have a ginormous celebration, and it wouldn't be complete without The Pumpkin King! However, Jack's getting tired of it. It is the same thing, year after year. And the Pumpkin King would like to do something different every once in a while.



So, as he's taking a depressing stroll through the forest, he stumbles upon several different portals - doors set into tree trunks. There is a portal for each holiday - Easter, Thanksgiving, Valentine's day, etc. But Jack is especially drawn to the sparkly green tree, and he takes a peek - only to tumble down into an incredible new world. Christmastown!



Everything is so beautiful in Christmastown. There is snow on the ground and smiling faces all around. Jack is ecstatic that he has finally found something different - different from all the gloom he sees back home. So when he returns to Halloweentown, he tells everyone about what he's seen and begs them to have Christmas this year instead. They get to work, busily making toys for all the children. Jack even has Santa Claus kidnapped so that he can get some inspriation. Not only does he have to worry about the Jolly Red Giant, but he has to worry about Oogie Boogie: the man who (along with three little spooky children) helped Jack capture 'Ol Saint Nick. Oogie Boogie captures Jack's true love, and he must save her. But that's just a bit of a side-story, so let's get back to the big picture.



When Christmas finally arrives, Jack gets back to Christmastown to deliver the presents. Only problem is that Jack's roots are in Halloweentown, and he made the gifts accordingly. The children are terribly frightened of the gifts they receive and their parents become worried. They begin calling the police and complaining, and eventually it is decided that Santa must die. Only Santa's trapped back in Halloweentown, and when they send out the cannons and guns, they're aiming straight for Jack!



I've been in love with this movie since I was a child. When I was about nine or ten, I would watch it every single day; I couldn't get enough of it. I think this, along with Friday the 13th, played a part in my love of spooky things. I think Tim Burton is somewhat of a genius. Though I haven't enjoyed every single one of his movies, he does create beautifully spooky things. The Nightmare Before Christmas will ALWAYS be one of my favorite movies.

1 comment: